3937 Silent Keys

Updated 12/10/2007


Carol Lynn Nelson                Update

Richard " DICK " Freeling      Update

IN HONOR-The Amateur Radio Frequency 3937 has long been a gathering place for Arkansas Hams.  No one remembers for sure the beginning but general consensus is that the Arkansas Phone Net was on the frequency of  3885 prior to 1960.  The FCC instituted incentive licensing about 1978.  Several members of the Net were unable to continue operating on 3885 so the Net moved to 3948 for several years.  Interference caused the net to move to 3937.   Over the years prior to and after the Arkansas Phone Net mostly Arkansas Hams gathered on the Net Fequency for the fun of "ragchewing"  From this activity grew the Arkansas Educational Frequency.   Over the years hundreds of Amateur Radio Operators made life long friends.  Some never meeting  face to face  but sharing all lifes events with each other over the radio.  The 3937 Frequency was and is truly the Educational Frequency.  All questions are answered.  Accuracy was and is never guaranteed.  As the years passed, so did many of the 3937 gang.   It is with deep humility and respect we honor the legacy these men and women left from a time past, to the present and for those yet to come.  In this regard we honor our fellow Hams who are "Silent Keys".....................................N5OCG

Carol Lynn Nelson

  Carol Lynn Nelson
(June 20, 1969 - November 5, 2007)


Carol Nelson, age 38, of Lead Hill, Arkansas, died Monday, November 5, 2007, in Harrison. She was born June 20, 1969, in Ft. Worth, Texas. Carol is survived by her parents, Terry L. and Susan (Coffin) Camp, of Lead Hill, Arkansas.

Carol was a 1987 graduate of Yellville High School. She was a student at North Arkansas College, where she was a part of the student body government. Carol was an amateur radio operator and her HAM number was N5MDO. She enjoyed country music, reading science fiction and Harry Potter books.

Carol took her Novice test for Amateur Radio in Dec. of 1986. She was in high school at the time so being a girl interested in Ham Radio was kind of hard on her. She then in April of 2002 I finally up graded to General Class was learning about radio contesting and getting on a lot of HF and having so much fun. She also like model railroad trains and the great outdoors.

Carol assisted with tax preparation with the AARP Volunteer Program and was a volunteer at North Arkansas Regional Medical Center where she volunteered in the Thrift Shop, the Gift Shop, Purchasing Department and the Outpatient Surgery and Dialysis Departments. Carol had extra empathy for dialysis patients as she was a kidney transplant recipient in August and September of 2000.

Carol leaves behind many dear friends throughout the community and ham radio.

Memorial visitation will be held from 6:00 to 8:00 PM, Monday, November 12, 2007, at Christeson Funeral Home.

Cremation under the direction of Christeson Funeral Home.                

My Tribute to Carol Nelson N5MDO.

Revelation 21:4 states;   “And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”  

Kind, gentle, sweet, this Young Lady was a very good person to know.  Always happy, smiling, and very upbeat, Carol strived to be the best person she could be and to take the little things in life with a grain of salt no matter what trials and/or tribulations were put in her pathway, she wouldn't let life get her down.  I've been on the receiving end of a phone call when she was bursting to tell someone some good news or something good that had happened to her that day.  I've also sat and held her hand and wiped her tears because she broke down to cry when times got a little to tough and she just needed someone to listen while she vented her frustrations.  Through good times and bad times, she always wore a smile and kept her chin held high.

Carol was an angel here on earth to all who had the great opportunity to make her acquaintance. We will miss you greatly my dear friend and there will always be a vast void in our hearts for the Million Dollar Operator.  We love you Carol.

On the behalf of your ham family:

Because you are now a silent key, in your honor tonight at 6:00 pm on 3987.5 on the Razorback net, there will be 1 minute of silence.  So for the last time, N5MDO it was nice to get to meet ya face to face.  You certainly enriched all of our lives. 73s de AD5JA  Robin Norris    May he rest in peace.


Richard " DICK " Freeling
Old Call K5FJ - New Call W5TIZ



RICHARD NORMAN (DICK) FREELING, SR., of Little Rock, regarded by friendsand family members as a hero of the Greatest Generation, died peacefully Oct. 19. Dick was born on May 29, 1923, to Guy Alexander and Grace Hanson Freeling, who, along with his brother Guy Freeling, Jr., preceded him in death.

He is survived byMarie Hare Freeling, his wife of 60 years; son and daughter-in-law Rick and Barbara Freeling of Little Rock; daughter Susan Carr of Chapel Hill, N.C.; grandchildren Tyrrell Januzzi and husband Lou of New York, N.Y., Taylor Carr of Annapolis, Md., Becka Webb and husband Brian of Little Rock; and two great-grandchildren.

Dick attended school in Little Rock before enrolling at Columbia Military Academy. He attended the University of Arkansas, where he was a Sigma Chi. As an Army First Lieutenant, Dick served as an Infantry Unit Commander during World War II, seeing action in the Normandy, Germany and Northern France Campaigns in the European Theater of Operations, receiving a Purple Heart, Silver Star, Bronze Star (for Gallantry), Combat Infantry Badge, Presidential Unit Citation and the European Theater Medal with three battle stars. Dick was a principal of Freeling Insurance from 1945-79, at which time he joined Stephens, Inc., where he worked as a registered representative for 10 years before retirement.

The quintessential gentleman, Dick entertained friends and family with his wonderful knack for story-telling.

An enthusiastic ham radio operator for many years, Dick was active in the American Radio Relay League. He was a past director of the Country Club of Little Rock and a member of the Bible Church. God used Dick Freeling to touch the hearts and lives of many. He was, first and foremost, a loving husband, father and grandfather, and he will be missed by all who knew him.

There will be a graveside service 10 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 23, at Pinecrest Memorial Park, followed by a memorial service at 11:30 a.m. at St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, 8300 Kanis Rd., Little Rock, Ark., 72204.


Richard Norman “Dick” Freeling, a lifelong Little Rock resident, was about 40 feet in the air, working on his ham radio tower the first time his future daughter-in-law, Barbara Freeling, met him.
It was strange that anybody would be working at that height, she said, especially a blind man.
Freeling, the founder of Little Rock’s Freeling Insurance and a 10-year employee of Stephens Inc., who lost his sight when he was shot in the head during World War II, died Friday of Alzheimer’s disease.
He was 84.

Freeling was fascinated with electronics and had a collection of gadgets, but his main hobby was working on his ham radio.
“When there were disasters in an area, a lot of times all the phones would be down except for the local service,” said his son, Rick Freeling. “He could contact a ham radio operator in another state or another country, and they could patch into someone’s telephone and transmit that to Dad. Then he’d patch them to their family’s phone.”
Born in 1923, Dick Freeling attended Little Rock schools before heading to Columbia Military Academy (now Columbia Academy) in Tennessee. He went to college briefly at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, but he left for officer candidate school at Fort Benning, Ga., shortly after the country entered WorldWar II.
Freeling lost his sight in Germany, shortly after D-Day in 1944, when he and his fellow soldiers came under German fire.
Freeling jumped on top of a nearby tank, manned a .50-caliber machine gun and began firing back at the Germans, but was shot in theback of the head.

The bullet, which entered behind his left ear, had to be removed through his right temple. The procedure saved his life, but left him blind.
Freeling was sent to a military hospital in California, where he met his wife, Marie Hare, who was working there for the Red Cross.

The couple married in the late 1940s and had two children, Rick and Susan.
Freeling was a jovial guy, a storyteller who liked to joke, even if he was joking about his own disability. But he was also stubborn and strongwilled, his friends and family said.
So, with a little help from his wife, he didn’t let his lack of vision keep him from having a normal life, his friends recalled.

“They’d go to dinner and she’d tell him ‘Your meat’s at 12 o’clock, your beans are at 6 o’clock, and your bread’s at 3 o’clock,’” said his childhood friend, Gus Blass.
In 1945, the veteran opened Freeling Insurance, which he ran until 1979, when he sold it to Rebsamen Insurance.
But retirement bored Freeling, so he took a lawn-mower repair class and “before long, my parent’s backyard was full of lawn mowers,” Rick Freeling said.

Her husband’s tinkering - and the clutter that came with it - drove his wife crazy, so “She told him he had to get out of the house and find a job,” his son said.

His friend, Jack Stephens, gave him a job selling bonds for Stephens Inc.
“He read Braille books and would climb his tower, and he even water-skied,” Blass said. “He never let [his blindness] keep him from doing anything.

“We’d go eat, and when we took him home and dropped him off, he’d say ‘I’ll see you.’”
May he rest in peace.

Eldon Bryant


Eldon Bryant, K7ZQR, of Ward, Arkansas, became a silent key on April 12, 2007. He was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Helen, by just a few short months.

A founding member of the STARS, Small Town Amateur Radio Service, Club, and Eldon was a hams ham. In the early 1970’s Eldon was one of two founding members of the tongue in cheek “Geriatric Patrol“which was a humorous take off of the popular TV program of that era, The Rat Patrol. Always friendly and accommodating to new hams and hams new to the area, Eldon was an unofficial, welcoming ambassador to Central Arkansas. Eldon was a superb message traffic handler on the Traffic Nets of Arkansas and the ARRL National Traffic System, taught traffic handling on the Arkansas ARES RACES Net and the Central Arkansas Radio Emergency Net, CAREN.

Eldon was a long time Mason and was a member of the Cabot Masonic Lodge.

Eldon is survived by two daughters, two sons, 10 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Eldon said 73 to all his Ham Radio Buddies.

We have lost a special Ham Radio Operator and friend in Eldon, K7ZQR. We shall all forever remember him. May he rest in peace.


Robert Wayne (Bob) Berry

Robert Wayne (Bob) Berry, 65, WB5BJD, became a silent key March 11, 2007 after a sudden and fatal illness. Bob and his wife Lynda, KC5FAJ, were married November 3, 1960 and both were active in the Masonic Lodge and the Order of Eastern Star. In 1969 Bob lost his sight in a single-engine plane crash. Bob went on to earn a Masters Degree and became a licensed Clinical Social Worker for the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Hospital in North Little Rock, Ark. Retiring April 2000. Lynda preceded Bob in death after a long fight with Cancer.

Bob taught Morse Code for the CAREN Club for many years, which made Bob one of only two life CAREN Club Members.

Bob leaves behind a legacy of hearts he has touched and many who will miss him greatly. Virtually anyone who is anyone in Ham Radio in Arkansas knew, honored and loved Bob.

May the Lord Bless his soul until we all meet once again. May he rest in peace.


Orland J. "Bud" Harris

budharris.jpg (14282 bytes)

Orland "Bud" Harris

WA5VBU ,  Orland J. "Bud" Harris, age 78, of Hot Springs passed away on Tuesday 05/01/01 in the National Park Medical Center. He was born on July 16, 1922, in Millville, Ark., the son of Orland C. Harris and Mabel Jordan Harris.
    He is survived by his wife, Margaret Harris of Hot Springs; two sons and daughters-in-law, Cliff and Karen Harris, and Tommy and Mary Harris all of Dallas, Texas; one daughter and son-in-law, Margaret and Tracy Roulston of North Little Rock; and 11 grandchildren.
    He graduated from Bearden High School and attended Ouachita Baptist College. During World War II, he joined the U.S. Army Air Corp where he was a highly decorated P-38 fighter pilot. After his discharge, he returned to Ouachita and the University of Arkansas where he received his Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Agricultural Science. He pursued a career in teaching and was involved with the University of Arkansas agricultural mission to Panama. After returning from Panama, he had a 15 year career with Arkansas Power and Light Company in Hot Springs and Des Arc.. After losing his vision, he and his wife returned to Hot Springs.
    He was a member of the Piney Grove United Methodist Church and was an honorary member of its administrative board. He was a Mason for over 50 years with his membership in the Abana Masonic Lodge. He was an active member of the Lions Club and the Hot Springs Amateur Radio Club. As a ham radio operator, his call sign was WA5VBU and he met and enjoyed friends from around the world.
    Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, in the Piney Grove United Methodist Church with Rev. Larry Ferguson officiating. Visitation will be held on Thursday evening from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. Interment will be in the Glenwood Cemetery under the direction of Davis-Smith Funeral Home of Glenwood.
    Pallbearers will be Jack McHaney, "Red" Nelson, David Borgoitti, Eldon Moore, Ben Spickes, and Buddy Bob Benson. Honorary pallbearers will be Fay Pounds, Orsen Lucy, Jackie Morrison, Doug Baber, Tommy Robinson, Dr. John Simpson, and the ham operators of the 3937 Club and Razorback Net. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the American Diabetes Association or the Piney Grove United Methodist Church.

WA5VBU Orland J. "Bud" Harris was one of the best known Ham Radio operators in Arkansas for good reason. A World War II P-38 fighter pilot, Bud recounted many of his phenomenal war stories for his Ham Radio friends.

His experiences of being shot down in combat, floating on a life raft in the ocean for two days and nights and then drifting up to the only island occupied by Americans in the South China Sea, demonstrates the never wavering faith and luck Bud enjoyed.

A 50 year Mason, a strong Christian and supporter of Church and Charitable Non-Profit organizations, Bud made his life count as a positive difference. Bud's life's achievements were never more evident, than he and wife Margaret achieved in the raising of their family, sons Cliff and Tommy and daughter Margaret, their families and grandchildren.

Diabetes robbed Bud of his wildest dream, that of a test pilot for the developing jet airplanes after WWII. Bud was selected as the Cream of the Crop, Jet Aircraft Test Pilot. Bud never complained the loss of this opportunity or the loss of sight caused by the disease. There was too much for Bud and Margaret to accomplish to stumble over one misfortune.

To know Bud Harris was to be his friend and what a friend he would be. Loyal, always available, respected, leader, a good honest friend that with the help of wife Margaret, demonstrated the ability to handle life's good and bad events, without complaining and always leading by example, with the dignity and spirit for all to appreciate and follow.

Bud's sense of humor was a pure pleasure for his friends and family to enjoy. Everything Bud did he enjoyed and found some humor in most of it, which he was quick to share.

Ham Radio, family, church and community friends won't ever forget the good times, the fun and the legacy of WA5VBU, Bud Harris, may he rest in peace.

Bill Swann


WB5RCS, Bill (Doc) Swann, endured more physical burden than most.  He was known for his ornery sense of humor, like applying the pressure brake on his wheel chair while being pushed.  Bill was full of jokes and fun.  He acquired the nickname "Doc" from his knowledge gained as the owner of a liquor store.  A Doctor of distilled spirits.  May he rest in peace.   



WD5GTM, Bill "Fisher" Jones.   A successful farmer in Fisher Arkansas Bill got the nickname "Fisher" to differentiate him from all the other Bills on 3937.  On his retirement from farming and Chairman of the Board of Riceland Foods, Bill and his wife Millie purchased a motor home and traveled extensively.  Remember Bills hustler resonator mounted right on top of the motor home with 60 feet of wire from the resonator out to whatever was handy to hang it on.  We all talked to that resonator and wire over the years.  Miss Millie still listens to the 3937 gang to keep up on all of us.  May Bill rest in peace.



W5HNZ, Jimmy Beavers' nick name was "grasshopper" because he hopped from frequency  to frequency like a grasshopper.  Jimmy helped Ed Moory at hamfests for years and always had a ready wit and sense of humor.  Not many enjoyed life as Jimmy did.  His most famous claim to fame was his "electrocution chamber" power amplifier.  It was in a seven foot rack cabinet and Jimmy used to call it radio miniaturization.  Such was his wit for it was anything but miniature. May he rest in peace.




W5RWJ, Uel passed away May 25th 1990,  Many laughs and a lot of fun came from the 'Good Grief Society'. This was one of Uel's favorite things to say,"good grief", he would  hit the mike button with that phrase and always get a response. Uel became a licensed HAM in 1950 and except for a 6 year period he was always interested and active. He enjoyed traffic handling and calling the 'Arkansas Phone Net'. CW was his favorite and he had  'a good fist'. Over the years he worked in several emergency and and disaster situations. He became involved in 'Slow Scan' in its early stages.May he rest in peace.



W5ID , Elmer Wingfield was a career Navy Man.  A survivor of Pearl Harbor, Elmer Kept in touch with his Navy Buddies via the Pearl Harbors Survivors Net on 20 meters.  Although not a regular on 3937, Elmer always showed a mischievous sense of humor upon arrival.  Chances were good when Elmer Checked in , someone was going to get their leg pulled.  May he rest in peace.





W5FML, C.L. was probably one of the best older gentleman I have ever known. You could easily find him on the air ways in the early morn. He also was our keeper on our 2 meter repeater for many years. He would make frequent visits in all kinds of weather just to make sure it was working O.K. He also went to the nursing Homes every Sunday  and ministered to the needs of the older people. The weather never got to bad on Sunday. He would get in his old thunderbird and go. He is very much missed by his family and friends. He is with our lord- so I will be clear on his final -------KB5ADI May he rest in Peace.

Some of his best sayings was  " When I review my education I find no room for conceit half of what I have learned I've forgotten the rest is obsolete". "Bye-Bye now --Pay later"." Its your baby - you spank it"." If you said hay he would say corn"."  If I didn't know better, I would swear I was getting old"."  I was better but I got over it ". " They told me old age would be the golden years but it turned out to be corroded brass"."  I had a heart attack 52 yrs ago and I married her."  Gordhead-----meaning go ahead."  Is that a threat or a promise when someone left the freq."."  It's chilly and no crackers when giving weather report".     



W5CAM ,Art, sometimes known as "Ike" was a ham for 47 years.  He interested two of his sons, Jim, W5FVM (SK) and Bob, WB5VUH, to enter this interesting hobby years ago when tubes lit up and military surplus was the radio of choice.  The third son, Bill, although interested, enjoyed getting phone patches while living in California.  Art was reared in Stuttgart, AR and left to come to Pine Bluff with his wife to begin his employment with the Arkansas Power and Light Company where he worked for 43 years,retiring as the Manager of the Meter Department.  Art was very active in club activities and served as the Secretary and editor for the PB club,"The Grid."  Art was also very active in the Benton club and the QCWA as a founding member.  Art enjoyed going to Field Day and watching the new hams get excited in making contacts.  He held an Advanced Class license and was a friend to everyone he ever met.  He helped many people to become hams and always made his time available to assist anyone in putting up antenna's or better understanding the protocols of operating.Even though his last two years were spent "listening" on the bands, (due to a heart pacemaker) he enjoyed all aspects of our wonderful hobby and life in general.  He is greatly missed and I think he is in heaven talking to others about how great amateur radio is as a hobby, and still trying to recruit others to join us. May he rest in peace.



jeff1.jpg (13056 bytes)


KF5BA, Hi. My name is Vera Sherlin Bowie KB5SRC. Jeff was my Dad. He and his second wife Elizabeth were driving to the
GrandCanyon from Colorado with Eliz. driving when the car ran off the road and overturned in a deep ditch. Eliz. died three days later and Dad lived for 3 more weeks, long enough to get him back to Ark. which was his wish.  He died October 8, 1993. Dad loved the ham radio and all his friend. He encouraged me to get my license after my Mon died which I did. He was real interested in getting into packet radio. He was a instructor/tester and had a group of kids in south Texas, where he and Mom use to go for the winter in their Winnie, that he helped become hams. We all miss him very much.    May he rest in peace.




Brendatemple.jpg (9345 bytes)


BRENDA AKINS TEMPLE, age 59, of North Little Rock, Ark., went to be with the Lord on Monday, June 2, 2003, after fighting a long 11-year battle with cancer. She was born May 5, 1944, in Wynne, Ark. She was preceded in death by her parents, Oliver Ray & Mildred Miller Akins. She was a first- grade teacher from 1967 to 1979 for the Forrest City School District. She also taught at Sylvan Hills Elementary from 1979 to 1997 for the Pulaski County Special School District.

Mrs. Temple is survived by her husband, Dale Edgar Temple; two daughters — Rae Warren Millerd and husband, Stanley Millerd, of Marion, Ark., and Kelly Warren Chandler and husband, Todd Chandler, Sr., of Sherwood, Ark.; two sisters — Olivia Bokker of Forrest City, Ark., and Susan Vest and husband, Jerry Vest, of Wynne, Ark.; five grandchildren — Todd "T.J." Chandler, Jr., David Millerd, Andrew Chandler, Rebekah Millerd, and Kate Chandler; two stepgrandchildren, Jessica and Kyle Temple.

Visitation was held from 6-8 p.m. on Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at Roller-Owens Funeral Home, 5509 J.F.K. Blvd., North Little Rock, Ark. Services will be held at 11 a.m. on Thursday, June 5, 2003, at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 1000 N. Mississippi, Little Rock, Ark., The Rev. Pamela S. Morgan presiding. Graveside will be held at 4 p.m. at Cogbill Cemetery in Wynne, Ark., Mr. Odell McCallum presiding.

A Celebration of her life will be at her childhood home, 610 E. Williams in Wynne, Ark., beginning at 5 p.m. Please feel free to bring any pictures you might have to share in this Celebration.

Memorials may be made to Baptist Hospice, 11900 Colonel Glenn Road, Little Rock, Ark. 72210, or to The American Cancer Society, 901 N. University Ave., Little Rock, Ark. 72203.  

May she rest in peace.


Bill Chambers

BillChambers.jpg (4600 bytes)


KD5ZF ,Bill Chamber raised many hams in the Masonic Lodge.  Not only did Bill and his wife Pat run an very successful drug store in Jacksonville , Bill was an outstanding orator in the Masonic Lodge and Catfish cooker.  When Bill was your friend you had a valuable asset  .  Bill is sorely missed. May he rest in peace.  


Edmore.jpg (10787 bytes)


W5BDR ,Ed Moory, From De Witt, AR. Died on  01/ 04/2000 Age 85.   was indeed "hoss trader ed" as his ads in QST proclaimed  for nearly 50 years.  When Ed was about 16 years old he won the CW contest at the Chicago Worlds Fair.   An amateur radio dealer from DeWitt, Arkansas , Ed surprised the world becoming a prominent, successful   businessman from such a small town in such a small state.  Nothing was more famous at Hamfests than Ed's  Duck call including the largest hamfest of them all, Dayton.  You could tell when the hoss arrived by the sound of his duck call.   When heard everyone would smile and say"the hoss is here"  May he rest in peace.





W5ODF, JOHN MAX GAVIN, of Little Rock, age 62, died Wednesday, July 5, 2000, at his favorite place in the world -- Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs. He was known to family and friends as Max, Dad and Grandpa, and to his Ham Radio buddies as W5 Old Duddy Fuddy (W5ODF).Max was born in Anderson, Ind., the first of four children to Joseph and Margaret Gavin. He graduated from St. Mary's High School in Anderson in 1955. He moved to Little Rock as a member of the U.S. Air Force. Max was a lifetime member of ARRL, American Radio Relay League, and he was active in the Central Arkansas Radio Emergency Network, or CAREN. Max was Chairman of the CAREN Technical Committee when the first 146.94 W5DI, CAREN repeater was installed on Shinall Mountain west of Little Rock.  For over 15 years, he served as co-chairperson of the Catholic High Junktique. He made lifetime friends everywhere he went. May he rest in peace.


W.G,"Judge" DAVAUL


W5FQX , W.G,"Judge" Davaul was the long time titular head of the 3937 educational frequency or net. The educational 3937 gang of ham radio operators apparently evolved out of the early days of the Arkansas Phone Net.  On his 78th birthday , November 30 1968 Thirty One of the gang proclaimed the day as "Judge" Davaul Day for his sagacity, good judgment, exuberance and zest for living as a moderating and stabilizing influence on the other members of the gang. May he rest in peace.




W5LQZ, worked for BEI and St. Vincents Infirmary as a electronics technition. He and his wife Reba moved to Benton shortly before his death. May he rest in peace.




Guy A. Freeling Jr. was born in Little Rock, AR November 10, 1921.He graduated from Little Rock School, now called Central High School, in the spring of 1941.His Class was known as the Class of 1944 but due to WW 2 his class graduated in 1943. He was assigned to the battleship Pennsylvania as a gunnery officer.This ship supported many major battles, after fourteen months Guy was returned to states for pilot training. He was assigned to a Corsair squadron and served on the aircraft carrier Randolph. Guy Freeling resigned from the Navy and entered the banking business in Stuttgart, AR in 1949, he married Peggy Prier, who is the sister, of our beloved Marion Prier k5kfy. With much probing, form k5kfy,w5bqj, and w5tiz, Guy passed the General exam his call was wa5qzr. Guy and his family moved to North Little Rock, and he joined the First American National Bank as Executive V. P. We had many FB round tables, CW, and DXing with Guy until he suffered a fatal air crash on September 2. 1968, and he went home with the lord. May he rest in peace. 


joegrwood.jpg (12318 bytes)

NR5H, became a silent key 8-10-00. Joe was a gentlemens gentleman. Joe had a PHD in mathematics. Like so many 3937 amateurs, Joe was Joe Memphis when he lived there and later Joe Greenwood when he moved there to differentiate Joe from all the other Joe's on the frequency. A Ham Radio operator for decades of his 83 years. Not above pulling pranks on his fellow hams, Joe was full of humor. During his retirement years Joe and his wife Delma traveled all over collecting and selling antique hand made quilts, a hobby they both enjoyed. May he rest in peace


Warren "BUD" Daunhauer


Bud Daunhauer

    Warren "Bud" Daunhauer, age 68, of Little Rock, passed away Dec. 16, 2002. He was born July 30, 1934 to Edith Erwin and Warren Charles Daunhauer, Sr. Mr. Daunhauer was a talented musician who became interested in music as a boy growing up in the jazz-saturated French Quarter of New Orleans. he began playing the saxophone in clubs as a teenager when he decided to make his career in music. He attended Arkansas Tech University where he graduated in 1956 with a music degree. During his career he played a multitude of instruments including the drums, saxophone, and piano to name a few. He traveled the United States playing with a number of musical groups accompanying many known performers including John Denver, Carol Channing and Cher. In Arkansas, Mr. Daunhauer is most widely recognized as a talented band director from Forest Heights and Pulaski Heights Jr. High Schools in Little Rock where he taught for 20 years. he loved teaching and considered it the most rewarding aspect of his life. he kept in contact with many of his former students and enjoyed visiting with them. Mr. Daunhauer had a lifelong love of amateur radio where he was known as W5WZN. May he rest in peace.


Joe Washam

joewasham.jpg (10843 bytes)

Joe Washam

Please send n5ocg something about me.....




HarryCook.jpg (10566 bytes)


Please send n5ocg something about me.....




May he rest in peace.

Please send n5ocg something about me.....



Please send n5ocg something about me.....

Jim Sibley

Jim Sibley

Jim Sibley. Jim was indeed one of the true characters of his era of Ham Radio. No one had more fun than Jim. From his "go to 18, Al" to his "I'll drink to that" and numerous contrived humorous incidents, Jim kept his own physical difficulties in the background even though he all but conquered MS by sheer will power. Never complaining, serving the public for years as a Severe Storm Spotter for Arkansas Skywarn, Jim organized and was net control for a group of Commercial Radio Operators working for a paper company that were instrumental in the early warning of the Public of threatening weather, thus performing a Huge and Appreciated Public Service for the citizens of Hot Spring County and Central Arkansas. May he rest in peace.



K5KFY, Marion Prier was a good friend to all.. His wit was dry. He loved his family and ham radio.  Cooking on his grill and raising blueberries were other passions of Marion.  He is missed by his many friends. May he rest in peace.  



W5IRG, James Russell (Jim) Crowley was gentle and meticulous.  Jim was famous for the plastic covers over his equipment and the perfectly straight rows in his garden.  He washed every plant with a brush.  A knowledgeable ham radio operator Jim was interested in WAC.  May he rest in peace.  



W5QI, the"Queer Indian" .  Frank was a Ham many years and was active until just before his death.  Frank enjoyed talking politics and admitted to being a "yellow dog democrat"  Mostly Frank enjoyed polking fun at himself.  He wore us out talking about his leaf machine and loved every minute of making us listen..May he rest in peace.



Sid Pokony was an Arkansas Section  Manager in the past.  May he rest in peace.



Nina Miller.  Miss Nina lived with her husband on a farm in Lonoke, Ar.  Her son still lives in Lonoke.  She really enjoyed her Ham Radio Hobby. Her nephew Bernie Miller kc5ihi still has her TR4. May she rest in peace.



KE5F, enjoyed Ham Radio from his home in Damascus, Ar.  Norm married a French lady while in the military.  After many years his wife's sister came from France for a visit.  The excitement and shock was too much for Norm's wife.  At the airport she suffered a heart attack and passed away.  Norm visited her grave every day around10:00 A.M.  He never missed a day until cancer caused his health to fail.  He talked daily about his trips to the grave and how he missed them.  Finally cancer cost Norm an arm and eventually led to his death.  May he rest in peace  



NR5I, was his own man.  Respected, generous and compassionate, a friend for over 50 years never heard him say an unkind word about anyone.  Joe had a dry sense of humor that was to the point, funny.  An avid pilot, successful farmer, Joe is described as a Chesterfield, a man of high honor, integrity, an ideal Gentlemen.  May he rest in peace. 



K5OZE, John Jones  worked in the equipment sales business but his love of flying and Amateur Radio was his pleasure.  John suffered severe injuries in an airplane crash that plagued him many of his last years.  Still he was active, friendly and always willing to help.  May he rest in peace.



W5FPF, Julian Ebberts, "foxey peter foxey"  was most famous for laying in bed with his head under the covers talking on the radio in a whisper so as to not wake his wife who was beside him in the bed.  New comers to 3937 would always ask Julian "why are you whispering.  Julian thought it was a big joke and enjoyed telling them so as to not wake his wife.  May he rest in peace.



I was born in Beebe, Ar. in 1944, Graduated Beebe HighSchool, 1962 Then entered the United States Airforce where I went to Tech. School at Chanute AFB, Il. Then on to Sheppard AFB, In Wichita Falls, Tx Discharged from the USAF in May,1966, Got out in the real world and went to work for 3M co. As an Electronic Service Technician In Wichita Falls,Tx. Where I remained and got married and had 3 children, Sheila, Theresa, And Brian. Divorced in 1982 and in 1987 moved to The Fort Worth,TX area. Married again in 1992 to a great lady Who's name is Marty. Have been a ham operator since 1971. Hobbies remain associated with the Electronics field, Radio and Computers. May he rest in peace.



KB5KCC Bill Croft      Mr. Bill did not have his Amateur License very long but no one ever enjoyed them more than he did. Bill was one of those hams that if there was a hamfest or a cookout some where he would get him a rider or 2 and head out .He would start out some times a 11:00 or 12:00 at night just so he could be there when the doors open the next morning.Mr. Bill like to cook and he made a Cake that every one liked, when you would go a cookout and see Bill you would always ask "Bill where is the Cake"you wanted to know what table it was on so you could be one of the first one to get there because it did not last very long.. May he rest in peace.



K5CEX Darryl "Hank" Hankins  became a silent key 9-8-00 due to a heart attack.  Hank loved to build race cars in addition to ragchewing on Ham Radio.  May he rest in peace.  

William "Buddy" Davis

William "Buddy" Davis

N5DOC William " Buddy" Davis, Osceola, Ar. died Saturday December 30, 2000.  Buddy for many years, prior to his retirement from Associated Gas Co., would visit the "coffee shop" in Osceola for the early morning gossip, then he would return home and sign in on 3937 about 5:00 A.M.  Until his retirement Buddy seldom missed a Jonesboro Hamfest and made many of the other hamfests in the state.  Buddy's easy going personality and friendly attitude made him a 3937 favorite.  Buddy will be missed, May he rest in peace.   


Vern was a Station Engineer and a member of IRE now IEEE. He built several Radio Stations in AR  and OK.  He also built KTHV Channel 11 on Shinall Mountain along with Champ Smith and Bill     Moore  (~1953-54). Vern was the first Station Engineer at Channel 2 and built it at Redfield.  Later       AETN.  Vern got caught with a RCA engineer checking out the channel 2 antenna when the elevator failed at 1500'.  They were on the tower for  4 hours until they could get the elevator car down .

May he rest in peace.  


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....


Please send n5ocg something about me.....



 02 / 2004

May he rest in peace.

Please send n5ocg something about me.....




May he rest in peace.

Please send n5ocg something about me.....



12 / 2003

May he rest in peace.

Please send n5ocg something about me.....



W5DHH ,Art  Maus worked for Fagan Electric at his retirement,  He then sold his home , bought a motor home and traveled the United States until he settled in Las Vegas where he worked part time repairing slot machines and various electronic equipment for the casinos.  He had weekly schedules with Elmer Wingfield w5fd until just shortly before his death.  May he rest in peace.  


N5HSQ, Al Crowder, enjoyed Ham Radio like perhaps no one else did.  Although he got into Ham Radio later in life than most, he more than made up for lost time in the enthusiasm and vast number of hours he participated.  The stories of climbing Rich Mountain with his little truck and airstream trailer to Jim Sibley sending Al to .18 or chasing Tom Meridith around his truck at the Mena Hamfest  or filling his harmonica full of peanutbutter  Al Crowder did it all in a few too short years .  Until the last few years of life, you could always count on Al being there whenever there was anyone on the air.  May he rest in peace.


W4CH Clyde Hurlbert was a former Delta Division Director for the ARRL.  On his retirement he was instrumental in assissing Joel Harrison being elected Delta Division Director.  May he rest in peace.  


W5CYY , Dean Howard was Chief Engineer at KARK TV for many years prior to his retirement to his farm at Greenbrier.  Dean was instrumental along with Max Gavin for securing the site on Shinnal Mountain for the CAREN CLUBS wide area 146.94 repeater.  Since then several other repeaters have been installed at the KARK site.  Although Dean was not a frequent visitor to 3937 his contribution to Ham Radio in Central Arkansas was significant.  May he rest in peace.


WD5AHP, Fred Jungkind was a medical photographer for the U of A Medical Sciences teaching Hospital in Little Rock.  Fred became more active in Ham Radio after his retirement.  Cancer late in life slowed Fred.  May he rest in peace.


WA5PKJ, Jimmy Duke, the little barber from Pine Bluff.  Jimmy was active in Army Mars for many years .  Always extremely pleasant on the radio and in person; a true Amateur Radio Gentlemen. May he rest in peace.


W5ENZ, Jim "hymie" Wingard.  A photographer by trade, a fisherman by avocation.  Whether guiding at Jacks Resort  Jim Wingard was from Calico Rock, Jack's Resort is actually located at Sylamore/Allison with a Mountain View mailing address. or on the ocean in zihuatanejo Mexico} Jim only did what Jim wanted to do.  He truly did it his way.  His funeral probably said it best.  There was a picture of Jim in casual clothes with his pipe and smile with pictures on both sides of the joys of his life.  It was more of a celebration of Jim's life than saying goodby.  JIm's ashes were spread in the bay at zihuatanejo, Mexico where more than 100 boats showed up for the ceremony, illustrating the many friends had here and in Mexico.  May he rest in peace. 


K5EAO, Joe was employed by BEI Electronics and later by Aerospace Controls Corporation in Little Rock as a Design Engineer.  Joe laid out critical PC Boards for space hardware used by NASA and classified sonar filters for the U.S.Navy, since Joe held Secret Clearance.  Naturally, Joe was quite an electronic builder and also a gun collector.  May he rest in peace. 


W5VJB, Jack Reich claimed his nephew was a professional quarterback with the New England Patriots.  It was not until his funeral his wife confessed Jack had pulled all our legs for all those years.  May he rest in peace .


W5SW, Jack Billingsley lived in Little Rock .  After his wife passed away, Jack moved to Monticello to be near family in his final years. May he rest in peace .


KA5DFT, Howard Armstrong was a world class Surgeon.  Late in life Howard and his wife Lois became Amateur Radio Operators.  From there they both took to Army Mars like ducks to water.  Lois is still active in Army Mars.  Once Howard Picked up the wrong Microphone in his office and started dictating a patient report.  Once he discovered his mistake he said " whoops sorry about that"and instead of signing his call sign  , he said Dr. Howard Armstrong clear.  May he rest in peace.


K5RAG, Glen Bradley was the Radio Officer for the Craighead County Office Of Civil Defense, later to be called Office of Emergency Services for many, many years.  As such, Glen was instrumental in assisting Ham Radio and the Public when the tornadoes hit Jonesboro as they have several times.  Whenever any one would visit Jonesboro, you could always depend on Glen to answer about any call on the Jonesboro repeater with his usual friendly greeting and helpful attitude.  May he rest in peace.


K5CQP, George Neal retired from IBM on an early out.  An active CAREN Club member, George pulled one of the most famous transmitter hunt stunts.  Dressed as a woman pushing what looked like a shopping cart full of groceries, the sacks in the cart contained the battery transceiver and the hidden antenna.  George walked around the parking lot for about a hour while the hunters stumbling all over the parking lot were very polite to the little old lady who was apparently looking for her car.  The hunters like to have never figured the little old lady was actually George and the hidden transmitter.  May he rest in Peace.


WA5ECP, Doc Coffman held a Ph.D. in music and retired as Head of the Music Department at Hendrix College in Conway, Ar.  Doc and his son Loren were frequent users of the 146.94 Little Rock repeater to stay in contact with each other.  May he rest in peace. 

Chester "Chet" Tausinger

WA7WFU, Chester "Chet" Tausinger, 52, of Witcherville, Ar. became a silent key Dec. 19, 2000.  Chet was a devoted member and net control of the Arkansas Phone Net, one of the oldest traffic nets in Arkansas,  A past Secretary and member of the Hanging Judge chapter of the QCWA,  Past President of the Ft. Smith Amateur Radio Club and an ARRL Official Relay Station.   Always active in emergency communications and traffic handling, Chet was a net control and member of the Arkansas/Oklahoma Division Salvation Army Net, a member and net control of The Arkansas ARES/RACES Net.   A frequent visitor to local hamfests, Chet will be sorely missed for his activities and fellowship.  May he rest in peace.  


I am Frank Shumard III.   My dad was a good man, known as "Frankie the Shu" WA5IBZ on the net. I believe this moniker was hung on him by one of the men I have admired the most in life, Dickie Freeling. Dickie, (W5TIZ) at the time pushed my dad very hard to get his CW done. I still listen in occasionally and hear Dickies unmistakable voice as I remember in my childhood. My father got his "ticket" while bed bound from a serious coronary condition. He arose early to work 3937 in the morning and was on 20 meters at night. I remember his rig at his bedside. An old Hammerlund receiver and Hallicrafters transmitter. I remember the spooky glow of the tubes of the linear in the closet. I also remember the fire that burned up his bedroom with him in it the old rig caused.  May he rest in peace. 


WA5LUW, --- Please send n5ocg something about me.....


K5DW--- Please send n5ocg something about me.....


W5IXC, --- Please send n5ocg something about me.....


W5VK, --- Please send n5ocg something about me.....


N5BCL, --- Please send n5ocg something about me.....


W5BUX, --- Please send n5ocg something about me.....


W5MY, --- Please send n5ocg something bout me.....


Please E-Mail me with any comment's about any one on this page or



Music (remember me)